The definition of Microsoft Office Access or MS Access indicates that it is a database developed by Microsoft that is part of the Microsoft Office software. The main task of Microsoft Access is the so-called RDBMS – relational database management system (organization of data in the form of tables that linked to general fields).
It is an information management tool that you can use to store information for reference, reports, and analysis. With MS Access, you can explore vast amounts of data and manage related info more professionally than with Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet programs.
Microsoft Access is one of the most relaxed and flexible to use databases. It is possible to build many applications without writing a single line of code (which is excellent!). For something very complicated, MS Access offers a powerful programming language: Visual Basic for Application (VBA).
Before Proceeding to the Article, get an idea of – What is DBMS? Definition, Characteristics and Key Functions
What is Microsoft Access made up of?
The Microsoft Access database is composed of 7 main components:
Microsoft Access works just like any other database. It stores related information and allows you to make connections (commonly referred to as relationships) between different things.
Some of the main tasks done in Access include:
- Create and maintain databases and their tables.
- Configure rules and restrictions for the type of data that can enter into the database.
- Build and run queries.
- Create forms that allow non-technical users to enter data, search the database, and perform other tasks.
- Generate reports so the data can be presented in a more readable format or sent via email, print, etc.
- Create macros so that multi-step tasks can perform with a click of a button (or even when you open the database).
- Import and export data from external sources (e.g., Excel spreadsheets, CSV files, etc.)
Also Read: What is the RARP (Reverse Address Resolution Protocol)?
Main advantages of Microsoft Access
Relieved requirements for user knowledge.
All employees at the office level can use a database with minimal training and learning effort: First class specialists are not required!
Availability of visual development tools.
We all know that a book with images is much more enjoyable to read. You can say the same about the MS Access database.
Translation to many languages.
It is very convenient to use your mother tongue in computer programs. You will never confuse the word “ban” with the “bank”!
Effective help system and the presence of development tools for teachers.
Do you remember the situation when your father-in-law is at home, and you have no notes? MS Access offers a variety of tools to help beginners.
When you create (and save) a database in Microsoft Access, the database is saved with the .accdb extension. It is the file extension that you use most often when developing Access databases. Once you’ve set up your database, you can also save it as a single executable. A single executable uses the .accde extension.
Also Read: How to Set-Up An Ad Hoc Wireless Network? – Features and Uses
Comparing Access with Other Databases
Here are some notable features of Access compared to other databases:
1. Microsoft Access uses its own database storage file.
2. Access can use multiple backend sources.
3. Access is an application that can use to create and manage databases on PC. You can use Access as a visualization tool to create forms and reports from the underlying data.
4. MS Access can also be used as a “front-end” of a program, while other products act as “back-end” tables, p. B. MS SQL Server and non-Microsoft products, such as Sybase and Oracle. Similarly, some applications such as Visual Basic, ASP.NET, or Visual Studio .NET can use the Access database for their tables and database queries.
5. Access can also be part of a complex solution that can be compatible with other applications and technologies such as Microsoft Excel controls, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and ActiveX.
The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines Ingress Protection (IP) rating as the industry standard for qualifying enclosure conformity. It certifies the legitimacy of a product that meets a certain quality of the waterproof box.
Check Out: Best LapTops for Microsoft Office
Does the MS Access database have to be selected for your task? We do not make any recommendations here because the purpose of the article was to ask, “What is Microsoft Access” rather than “What should I do?”. We can say that Microsoft Access was the most widespread database in the world at a certain point.
Access 2019 should launch as part of the Office 2019 suite.